Tuesday, January 17, 2012

inspired by others.

Sometimes I think my purgatory will be kettlebell training. or maybe one of those circles of hell, like Sisyphus I will continuously ALMOST make my goal, only to fail and start again...forever. How many times in the middle of a set do I think "I can't do this, I have to put this heavy ass bell down." I seem to continuously disappoint myself. Part of this is the critic in my head whispering: "you are a total pussy, a fake athlete, why bother...." the other part is a side of me I try to never show, THE QUITTER. Actually, the critic and the quitter are evil twins.
Ok, all of that is true, but there is another  truth about my training. I am inspired by the athletes I train with and the students I coach.
Of course, there is John Wild Buckley, my coach. he works so hard, he has never failed to show both his strengths and his weaknesses in the most honest way possible. I have seen him succeed and fail. He always gets up again and works harder.
There is Sarah Lightfoot, my ever faithful road dog and training partner. I have seen her train through personal adversity. I envy her snatch technique, it's gorgeous. you can see us snatching together here 
there is Nazo, who just moved here and is training training training. She always starts her sets with: "Oh, it's sooo heavy, I don't think I can do it..." and then proceeds to kick ass, she never quits.
And my students!!!! Holy shit, they are the best. Elle in colorado trained through anemia ("I don't know why I'm so out of breath!") and is competing for the first time in LA this weekend.
Rebecca, who couldn't even press 10lb when she started in august, today she did her first 10 min jerk set with the 12k completing 61/62 reps. I am seeing great things for her.
My friend kyrsten, who will be competing in LA this weekend too...kicking ass.
I really don't know what I would do without my posse of workout buddies and students. They help me silence  the evil twins in my head. They help me push the boulder up and over the hill.
posted by Juliet

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Miss Juliet!
    I have evil triplets. Your twins are joined by their sister, Scaredy Cat. She tells me that if I don't slow down when im snowboarding that I'm going to get broke off. I wish she would shut up!

    ReplyDelete